Summer 2008 contest results

Community news posted by the SSC staff.
SSCBen

Summer 2008 contest results

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:51 pm

After giving it some thought I have the results. 5 people entered the contest where top 3 win, which was better than I had expected. #3 was a little close but after examining each submission closer I made a decision.

Below lists the forum member who won what and a brief description of what they sent in.

1) C-A_99 - LPD water gun
C-A_99 went out of his way and gave us 3 reviews, 2 videos, and over 40 images.

2) JLspacemarine - Small and large diameter LRT
JLspacemarine sent in 3 reviews, 1 YouTube video, and 10 images.

3) Killer 7 - ZX1000
Killer 7 sent in one review, but he had statistics and more pictures than the remainder, which puts him in the top 3.

I'll email those in the top 3 for their addresses and I'll send the prizes before August.

Drenchenator

Re: Summer 2008 contest results

Post by Drenchenator » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:26 am

Congratulations to all the winners! Enjoy your prices.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:05 pm

Congrats to the winners! (However, I swore I saw a post about the contest being extended until the end of July.. oh well... *shelves entry* :p )
Drenchenator wrote:Congratulations to all the winners! Enjoy your prices.
I hope you mean "prizes". :p
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:16 pm

I pushed the date to the 15th after thinking that I'd probably be more busy in August. This gives me some time to ship the prizes.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:26 pm

Hm, we seem to be forgetting to check each others PM's. I replied late to the last one because I never noticed it was around... 0_o

But... This is getting a bit urgent. We're (my team) most likely having a war against Mizukage Tactical Unit in a week and I'd love to get that LPD as soon as possible. =)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:13 am

Okay, if you have a water war I'll try to get it to you faster. I worked yesterday and today so not much progress was made. I don't work for the rest of the week though. I'm still thinking about the structure of the water gun, but l've got a good idea of what I want to do. I have all the required parts and some of the pipe is cut.

My idea right now is to hold the parts onto a piece of wood with cable ties and pipe straps. This'll be fairly solid and simple. There are 4 2 inch pipes for the PC, which isn't the best way to do it but the parts were available and it should work well with the layout I have planned.

I'll post some pictures of what I have so far in the homemades forum...

Hopefully I'll get it finished in a day or two and it shouldn't take too long to ship to you. I'll ship all three items at the same time.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:12 am

Hm, if its still well in progress, take your time. I'll just hold it off till the next war, it should be at its best. =) I could also reschedule the war since that WBL is also still in progress.

Hmm...

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:46 am

I don't have anything better to do so I'm going to try to finish it tomorrow. Everything is looking straightforward. As usual, I'm worried most about getting the pump to seal, but the wooden method I've used has been very reliable, and I'm using a 7/16 inch diameter dowel rod with 7/16 inch ID O-rings, so I should have to do less work than usual.

You can check out my construction progress so far here: http://forums.sscentral.org/42717-post36.html. I'd appreciate any suggestions since you'll be getting the water gun.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:46 pm

The current plan is to test the top prize at a water war in Washington DC this Friday and then ship all three items out on Monday. Sorry for being a little slow, but I said I'll ship them before August and that's what I'm doing. ;)

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:22 pm

Progress has been slow on the LPD gun because Ben was documenting its construction and ran out of memory on his digital camera. It's been taking shape in our basement though and looks close to being complete. I think he cemented it together a day or two ago, with the rest of the construction being assembly now.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:54 am

The plan is to send the prizes out Wednesday. We're doing a big shopping trip that day and it'll save us gas. Sorry for being a little slow. I did say I'd get the prizes out before August and I'll keep my word.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:57 am

Bleh. I had to watch dogs all day today and only made some limited progress on the top prize consequently. I'll finish it early tomorrow morning and test it Thursday morning and mail it. I'll still mail #2 and #3 tomorrow. Again, I apologize for being slow. I anticipated this a bit so that's why I said I'd have them out before August. :p

More pictures will come tomorrow too. I have most of the LPD water gun done aside from cementing.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:56 am

The LPD water gun has been cemented. I'll wait overnight before testing it. Tomorrow all items will ship given that the LPD water gun works correctly (I don't see any reason why it shouldn't but if it doesn't I'll investigate). Edit: Stupid post office is going to close before I have the opportunity to test it. They'll ship bright and early tomorrow morning. I guess I couldn't keep my promise to get them out before August.

More pictures and information about the water gun will come soon...
Last edited by SSCBen on Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:43 am

All the contest guns have been sent out. I emailed the winners to let them know but I'm posting here just in case they didn't get the email.

We might have another contest next year if I have a little more cash. This was more expensive than I had hoped but I think it was a good idea because we had some nice submissions. I'll try to add the submissions to the website soon.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:24 am

Heh...I'm still waiting to see the submissions, too. Thanks for all the content, guys! It's a big help as we try to branch back into reviews and other sections, which is hard since few people have large enough arsenals to do the entire sections themselves.

I'd like to see a contest for internals pictures or new homemades/mods ideas next year. Any thoughts on that?