Compressing CPS from the outside

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:11 pm

This evening a friend and I were discussing homemades and he came up with this idea:
Why not compress CPS bladders twice, once from the inside (as normal) and once from the outside, creating pressure around the bladder as well?
It seems a simple idea, so someone must have tried it before - does it work?
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:50 pm

That's what collosusing and k modding does. I also have thought of an on-off type where pumping would be easy and then you "enable" a spring or something to apply pressure. That's why I bought tubing to put around my homemade's chamber, it increases the power. The powerup can be whatever you want it to be, it depends on how much thicker you make the bladder.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:58 pm

Actually, we were thinking of compressing the bladder with air, not extra layers. Does that make sense?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:03 pm

Yes, I've thought of it before. I think the reason that Hasbro has not used that idea is because then it would not be a CPS gun, it would combine air pressure and CPS, still having a drop off. ;) It would be more powerful though. No one has tried it yet, I think it's worth a try, especially if you can add more air to the chamber. :D

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:04 pm

In case anyone's unclear as to what we've been discussing, here's a diagram.

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:53 pm

looks good. but get a good, strong pump.
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

THIRST

Post by THIRST » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:12 pm

Na, you wouldnt even need a strong pump. My advice to you, is not make the outer air chamber hard. Ive read a couple articles regarding the psi rates of cps guns compared to others, and high psi is not needed. If you make the outer air chamber a cps also, there wil be more air pressure, and a cps acting on the inner cps. I understand that a hard layer will increase psi greatly, but, correct me if Im wrong, wouldnt the air come out all at once with a high psi cps gun? I Don't know enough about this stuff...

THIRST

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:16 pm

Originally posted by THIRST@Mar 4 2004, 05:12 PM
If you make the outer air chamber a cps also, there wil be more air pressure, and a cps acting on the inner cps. I understand that a hard layer will increase psi greatly,
Hmm...I think the shell needs to be hard, otherwise the air would be wasting its force on its own CPS exterior, and not forcing down on the inner CPS chamber. I'm not sure either though - that's just my gut feeling.

THIRST

Post by THIRST » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:24 pm

If you make a shell out of some sheet metal for the secondary cps, you could limit the amount it stretches...or use som ezip ties. Either way, the power will greatly increase.

THIRST

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:29 pm

This may not be very practical. The pressure could easily rupture the CPS bladder, I know, I've seen them explode, I would pamper them for the best use. Also, as I said before, it would lose the ability to be CPS. This esentially is the balloon PC mod on a larger scale, the only advantage it will really have over air pressure other than that it may be more powerful is that is that it can shoot while it's upside down. Lastly, it would be super-hard to assemble outside of a factory. Everything would have to be sealed, and they do not make attachments for tubing to PVC that will fit in a endcap, so you'd have to slobber on the PVC glue and hope it seals.

Maybe later this year I'll try out this idea, it has potential as a good way to increase power, but personally I'd rather pump 40 hard times than 20 normal times and them like 50 normal times to pressurize the air part. Since this actually hasn't been done I really shouldn't talk though. :rolleyes:

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:45 pm

This may not be very practical. The pressure could easily rupture the CPS bladder, I know, I've seen them explode, I would pamper them for the best use.
Ummm...are you referring to THIRST's idea to put metal around the second CPS chamber? Or my overall scheme?

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:01 am

from owning a bb gun, I can tell you:

1. metal can build up an insane amount of pressure
2. a metal pc would require a metal pump
3. on the same track as what doom's saying, metal pc's like those in bb guns can produce muzzle velocities of 650 feet per second or more (not fit for soakers, that's over twice the velocity of tournament paintballs)

of course, I use velocity very loosely here. it should be speed, but for some reason people use velocity when relating to guns ? :blink:

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

THIRST

Post by THIRST » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:12 am

No, by metel I meant wrap the cps in sheet metal when its fully pumped, so you can make a point where it can't expand forcing more pressure.

THIRST

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:25 am

ohh ok - in that case doom still has a point. you'd be better off buying a check valve.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:45 am

Originally posted by THIRST@Mar 4 2004, 08:12 PM
No, by metel I meant wrap the cps in sheet metal when its fully pumped, so you can make a point where it can't expand forcing more pressure.

THIRST
The CPS stuff after a certain point will not expand in that direction. I was worried that my CPS gun's PC would keep expanding, but as it said on the site it will only expand to 4" OD.

I meant the air pressure would rupture the CPS chamber too btw.