Forum closing in 2011?

Community news posted by the SSC staff.
SSCBen

Forum closing in 2011?

Post by SSCBen » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:41 pm

Edit: No, the forum is not closing. I wanted to check if anyone would object to this. Some people did.

Would anyone seriously object if the SSC forums were closed to new posts in early 2011? The website and forum would of course be kept online as information resources.

I think most present members are also members at iSoaker.net, so a transition to iSoaker.net should not be particularly difficult.

The reasons why have been detailed before. I do not have much time to dedicate to the website and forum. The community is also rather small at the moment and some benefit may come from consolidation.

Please let me know what your thoughts are. If I don't get many responses, I'll close the forums to new posts on February 1st, 2011 and put a link to iSoaker.net in the header.

Thanks for the good run everyone! I'm sure I'll be more active in the future when I have some more free time.
Last edited by SSCBen on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martianshark

Re: Forum closing in 2011?

Post by martianshark » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:27 pm

But iSoaker doesn't have homemade and modifications sections. :'( Why is it closing anyway? Will we still be able to submit stuff for the website?

Fredcompany

Post by Fredcompany » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:13 pm

I think that if iSoaker.net had a couple of sections (mods and homemades, like martianshark said) added to the forum (and I made an account), then I'd be perfectly happy with moving over to iSoaker. In fact, I'm just going to make an account. To be honest though, I do prefer the theme and layout of SSC.
I'm a dude

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:42 pm

It has Blaster Workshop, which is for mods and homemades.

iSn does lack places to discuss two things we have though. It has no general discussion forum (like "off topic" here), no place to discuss things like films, games, music, sports. If iSoaker either added this, or gave a reason for not having it, I'd feel a bit happier.

And iSn lacks a marketplace. iSoaker may have a reason for not wanting trades done through the forum, but in that case I'd still advocate a place for people to post where blasters can be bought. (Perhaps just a single thread or a few would be suitable, rather than a whole subforum.)
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:01 pm

who? what? huh? This isn't April 1, is it?

While we've had our ups and downs, I've grown to respect these forums and all that the members here do. Can't this place remain open assuming the other moderators remain active?

Of course, the decision is yours to make. In the event these forums close to new postings, I am more than willing to expand iSoaker.net to accomodate more homemade and modifying threads. As an aside, iSn does have an off-topic and "marketplace" forum already, but they are member-only view at present.

Anyhow, if possible, I'd rather see this place running since many members do call SSC home for their water warring needs. If, though, you feel it best to archive it, I'll respect that difficult decision and do what I can to offer a place for continued homemade and tech discussions as well as general water blaster and water warfare stuff, too

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:11 pm

Hmm, might be time. We haven't seen many new members, but it might take a bit of time to convince people.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:41 pm

isoaker_com wrote:iSn does have an off-topic and "marketplace" forum already, but they are member-only view at present.
Oops, didn't think of that *facepalm*.

Of course, based on past experience, I'm unlikely to join up on iSn until this place actually closes.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:28 am

I'll explain my reasoning again. My main concerns are with maintenance and activity.

I'm generally the only one to do significant website and forum maintenance. I can not do this forever. Switching the forum to some sort of archive mode would make this work easier.

We do have multiple forum administrators, but basically everyone aside from cantab and maybe CA99 is inactive at the moment. The community unfortunately is too small at the moment to find anyone else with the right experience.

In terms of activity, I have two main thoughts. The first is that consolidation of the forums likely will increase activity, or at least make keeping up with the discussion a little easier. The second is that I've been a big driver of discussion here at SSC (I have more than 10% of all the posts), and SSC has been slower without me. SSC is not "dead", but I would prefer to do better.

Another concern is with the forum software we use. Our version of vBulletin is very adequate for our needs, however, it is several years old now and quite possibly will eventually become insecure or cease to work when PHP is upgraded. I really don't have the time to convert to a more modern forum software. This, of course, is not an immediate concern, but it is a concern.

I think archiving the SSC forums and continuing at iSoaker.net is the best option as iSoaker seems to have plenty of time to dedicate to forum administration, to put it in short.

At this stage I'm just putting the idea on the table. I understand that some people may be more comfortable with SSC right now. I also understand that archiving a forum is a difficult decision for everyone involved.

Also, remember that there always is the possibility that the forum could reopen in the future.

Any other thoughts?

@martianshark: Sure, we could still take submissions for the website.

Hyper

Post by Hyper » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:09 am

I'm against closing the forums.

Because

I prefer this forum over the ones at ISoaker because I consider the ISoaker forums to be a mess, especially with all those inactive sub-forums for every water gun.

And because

I don't like the existing posts and community to go away.
Resistance is futile. You will be soakinated.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:35 pm

The posts will remain online regardless of what decision is made. The question is whether to archive the SSC forums or not. ;-)

Edit: Perhaps I've been too harsh. I'd like to continue SSC, but in a way where I am not the main administrator. It feels like too much of an obligation. :-P

cantab, might you be interested in taking over the helm?
Last edited by SSCBen on Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:33 pm

I would rather not have SSC close. It's different than isoaker.net. At iSn, the community mostly just talks about stock water guns, and not about building them or anything. SSC is just... better. Soakerdom would be very different without SSC. Maybe someone could make a "new" SSC (unless cantab agrees to take over). I would be willing to make a new one, but I would have to use a free forum hoster.

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:07 pm

Hi Ben. I really like SSC and it is great to talk with and meet other people with similar aims and thoughts. There are lots of themes and guns we can discuss and I really like isoaker.net much but I started here at SSC and I really appreciate it to post things here :)

It is not the best idea to close SSC to new posts and I really want you to keep it just as it is! But if you decide to change things the decision is yours...

I am a rather young member here on SSC, but I am daily online, usually more then 5 times each day if there are things to discuss and I also have much time to spend.

I can provide my freetime and help here on SSC too, it would be an honour^^ I am 18 years old and I am sure I would do a good job, just let me know!

Keep it alive, SSC and isoaker.net are forums that must not close down, we need both and both are great!

This is view of things. Isoaker_com, do not be jealous, I will now visit isoaker.net to post there :D

@Ben SSC developed great and there is a big community. And we really want you to keep it alive, please think about it onces again, there are people who wants to support SSC(me included)! SSC forever!
A gunner has to do what his Soaker requires...

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:17 pm

@-G-JiV-: what? how could you say such things? I'll go mope in a corner hurt with jealousy. :p

But more seriously, if it's a matter of lessen time commitment, if someone such as cantab could take over the main role of admin, I, too, would much rather see SSC remain active online. Different forums and different styles appeal to different people and many online members feel much more comfortable here at SSC. It would be a shame were this place archived.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:10 pm

@ isoaker_com May it helps if I soak you with my k-modded vanquisher ?

Closing SSC would be very tragical, it is a place where lots of water warfare supporters meet each others. And for sure, it would not be a problem if we help Ben out a bit and take over some work, I think :)
A gunner has to do what his Soaker requires...

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:41 am

Ben wrote:cantab, might you be interested in taking over the helm?
I don't think I really have the technical knowledge tbh.
Arsenal: