APH + XPS Mod= CPH?

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
totokan

APH + XPS Mod= CPH?

Post by totokan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:29 pm

After looking at the balloon PC/XPS mod, wouldn't applying the same idea to the Air Pressure Homemade create a Constant Pressure Homemade?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:08 pm

You couldn't apply the same idea to the APH. You can only fit balloons into the chamber of XP water guns due to the seals they put in--they are not permanent, solid seals. The APH in contrast is solid pipe all around.

Even if you could, it wouldn't be a good idea. The XPS modification only makes the stream somewhat more constant at the sacrifice of PC capacity. The balloons needed to do it also pop often. It's not a good idea. I intend to remove that modification in the next website update.

The best way to create a CPH is to use latex rubber tubing. It's cheap, readily available, easy to work with, and performs great! I wouldn't suggest anything else.

totokan

Post by totokan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:57 pm

Yeah, I know that. I was just wondering if that idea could be applied in the same way. I guess not. If that mod (xps) is unreliable, how is it less reliable than a k-mod? They both seem to use balloons to increase pressure...

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:45 am

They are similar, but there are several major differences. The K-modded bladder is not sealed inside of an air chamber. That allows the bladder to actually exert constant pressure because there is no drop in air pressure. The air pressure also seems to damage the balloons in the XPS modification. The central bladder when K-modding is much more solid than a single balloon. A single balloon pops a lot more easy. Another difference is in the space left for expansion. K-modded water guns have a lot more space for expansion. XPSed water guns have nearly none because they weren't design to have rubber expand there. The K-mod obviously is very different.

totokan

Post by totokan » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 am

Ah, ok. I didn't realize the PC was so much weaker, but now that I think about it, it is a lot weaker.

The Stealthy Panda

Post by The Stealthy Panda » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:51 pm

This made me realize something. If you XPS a gun, shouldn't you drill a hole in the side of the PC to release the stupid and unreliable air pressure that would build up otherwise?
Hail Reeen! (Reeen is not a typo)

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:45 pm

You simply can't get enough power from the balloons themselves. The PC isn't designed to take 50-100 balloons (you wouldn't even be able to slide the PC on).

Regardless, even if you could justify drilling a hole, that could prevent you from reverting to the original setup. Not that other mods aren't permanent either. :)