Shields? Could you make a good one?

General water gun discussion.
addy606

Shields? Could you make a good one?

Post by addy606 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:59 am

I've done a bunch of test's to make a good water gun sheild, but nothing seems to work (with the excuse of card board), and even if it does work well, I've always had a hard time attaching it to my arm (is this sentence to long :confused: ).

Bottom Line (literally)
I want advice (or ideas, or somthing) on how to make a good water gun sheild.

dr_spock

Post by dr_spock » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:49 am

How about a RubberMaid trash can lid? It works well against snow balls. I suppose wearing a raincoat would make a good shield too.

Freakymist

Post by Freakymist » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:16 am

yeah i wrote an articles on this a looooooooong time ago

http://www.sscentral.org/articles/fms.php

addy606

Post by addy606 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:01 pm

Yeah, guess it would work, but I don't want to take stream fire with it. What I wanted to do is make a shield that would work with short ranged weapons, like guns with the "Riot Blast" mod, and things like that.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:17 pm

Why do you want a shield? The point of a water war is to get others wet, while avoiding getting wet yourself, and by having a shield you are defeating the purpose, because you can't get wet. :confused:
EV Nova: - http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/
"A CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!" *Takes 'em home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.* -"snap!"- "A Max-D trigger!""

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:59 pm

Hannibal wrote: by having a shield you are defeating the purpose, because you can't get wet. :confused:

Yes you can. Fire around the sheild. The users of sheilds are at a dissadvantage, they have less mobility, extra weight to carry, difficulty pumping, reduced field of vision, and many more. It's for these reason's that I do not reccomend sheilds, not because "you can't get wet". :cool:
Playstation 3: Check the Consumer Elecronic Show (CES) early next month for more PS3 info, and possible confirmation of a release date

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:05 pm

Well yeah, let them use their shields, and then soak 'em! :D Sheilds are out in modern (water) warfare. :D Use your anti-stream missles!
EV Nova: - http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/
"A CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!" *Takes 'em home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.* -"snap!"- "A Max-D trigger!""

addy606

Post by addy606 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:07 am

Hold up, say I end up with a bad gun like my Vaporizer that I did a "Riot Blast" mod to (yes, it was a big mistake). How do I get close to my enemy?

lilGhost

Post by lilGhost » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:52 pm

sorry for necroposting, but that shield that was made out of string and a tub cover could work, but taking it to the max. You could cut out a small box out of it, then if u know what youre doing, super glue a piece of plexiglass into that slot that is cut out. there you go, a slight fix to your field of vision problem, maybe if you are using it ina squad. you could use it as a turtle tactic with 3 guys with shields and pistols while the others just hide behind them and use cps's

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:32 pm

I'm assuming "necroposting" means posting in a dead thread...I don't have that big a problem with it (since it's a thousand times better than just creating a new topic), but I'd rather you watched your grammar a bit more. Thanks.

Why would you want to be restricted to viewing through a tiny clear part? You might as well just use a much shorter shield and look over it--and if you're doing this so you don't have to peek out of the edge, then you're not even going to be able to shoot. You would waste men in that formation, and a flexible enemy formation could easily flank you.

stupidaznmunkey

Post by stupidaznmunkey » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:11 am

lilGhost wrote:sorry for necroposting, but that shield that was made out of string and a tub cover could work, but taking it to the max. You could cut out a small box out of it, then if u know what youre doing, super glue a piece of plexiglass into that slot that is cut out. there you go, a slight fix to your field of vision problem, maybe if you are using it ina squad. you could use it as a turtle tactic with 3 guys with shields and pistols while the others just hide behind them and use cps's
well instead of using a piece of plexiglass - which im sure not many people have access to, just cut out a slot like lilGhost said, then take some plastic wrap and tighten it/tape it around the slot - or just cut the slot and wear goggles?

Leprechaun71588

Post by Leprechaun71588 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:08 am

Or you could stop playing with water guns if you're scared of getting wet...

But to make this post relevant: Get a big plastic trashcan, cut a rectangular slit towards the bottom for you to see out of and a circular hole on opposing sides of it. Put the whole thing over your head and it will work as not only a shield, but a full fledged suit of armor.
AIM: Leprechaun71588
Yahoo: Leprechaun71588

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:32 pm

@ Leprechaun71588: Nice idea (especially if you were being sarcastic), but it would be somewhat hard to pump the soaker.

Jibbles

Re: Shields? Could you make a good one?

Post by Jibbles » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:46 am

Back in the day I used old realestate signs, dad was a realestate agent so got heeps of them. Add a piece to go over your arm and possibly a window and you have a lightweight shield. 2 things however : They catch in the wind, you will probably end up dropping it in favour of no shield when you get wet enough.
XP 85, XP 110, 3 x CPS 1000, CPS 1500, SC500, SC Powerpak, 2 x speedloader 1500, and a speedloader 1000. There, i think thats mah arsenal

C-A_99

Re: Shields? Could you make a good one?

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:05 pm

Jibbles, this thread is over 2 years old lol.

As far as shields go, cardboard doesnt seem to be any good. Plastic is the best material for them. There are generally 2 shields: one attached to your arm that you use to block directly, and the other is usually large and carried, used more as quick mobile cover than as a shield.

I don't use them too much but if I did, I would use sleds - anything large and effective that lets you stand ground and take cover. Of course, one could simply arch their stream over, so beware of that, and adjust the shield appropriately. Umbrellas are also a possiblity, and have the advantage of portability. (just imagine, someone fires a stream at you and instead of dodging it, you deploy an umbrella to block it) They are also susceptible to damage from water balloons.