Making water gun parts using maker bot

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Chernobyl

Making water gun parts using maker bot

Post by Chernobyl » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:14 am

So I was looking around the web and I found this thing http://www.makerbot.com/ apparently this thing is like a 3d printer that can make anything up to 4x4x6 dimensions. It makes whatever you want using abs plastic so this got me thinking. Could this be used for homemade water gun parts? For example it could make triggers,pumps and maybe even some simple valves. At this point I'm debating whether to buy it or not since it does cost 1000$ but if i could make that money back and also make some good parts I think I might buy it in the near future. SO what do you guys think of this. Is it worth it? Could it be useful to making/modifying water guns?

C-A_99

Re: Making water gun parts using maker bot

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:30 am

It's unfortunate that the size is so limited and that a lot of assembly is required, but otherwise it'd be excellent for simple parts. You could use it for CPS trigger repairs and other pesky parts on stock blasters (both SuperSoaker and Nerf).

The problem with the limited size is that it will be difficult to design cases for homemades. I doubt it could make something as complicated as a valve (only the parts needed for it, plus assembly maybe) but triggers, pump seal holders (not pump rods), pump rod handles, etc.

Since I lack the funds for one, and since it takes time to set up, I'll probably stick to machining plastics by traditional tools.

Chernobyl

Post by Chernobyl » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:10 am

Yes I saw that as well the size really is very small. So i know you can't make a case but I thought small things such as triggers, parts of a pump, maybe nozzles?You could make those.

Also though the initial money needed is quite alot. I thought I might be able to make it back through selling items I make through the machine.

And I think I read somewhere that the time it takes to assemble is only 2 hours . I might be wrong though.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:32 am

If it's percise enough and can do so smoothly, it could probably make excellent nozzles. Ideal nozzles have very smooth bores and are conical, or cone shaped and give some length for the water to collect together before leaving the system.

It may still be possible to build cases by doing so in parts, then attaching them together. Durability and amount of plastic used is an important consideration though.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:42 am

Awesome! If I ever get rich and am still interested in water guns, I might buy this. ;)

superpants

Post by superpants » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:15 am

I had a good look at one of these at the UK maker faire a few weeks back. It is a nice, flexible piece of kit, but does have a limited resoultion which means you won't get particularly smooth nozzzles or sufficiently accurate parts to get the sort of fits you would need for pump components. For this sort of part you would probably be better buying a small secondhand cnc mill or lathe.

It would probably be very good for casings though (to it's limited size).

As a possible alternative you could look at getting someone like shapeways http://www.shapeways.com/ to custom 3D print your parts- you'd get quite a lot for the same price as a makerbot (fun though it might be)

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:58 pm

I doubt it will create parts that withstand pressure. At best figuring out the failure pressure won't be easy and will probably require experimental testing.

If the design can be scaled up it might be useful for ancillary parts like triggers, cases, (unpressurised) reservoirs, caps, and suchlike. But even then, at least for a case vacuum forming comes to my mind as probably a quicker and cheaper method.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:35 pm

I might need to print a cap for my ss 10, so I am looking into this, but only if they ship parts when you need them.
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.