Velocity indicates power

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
SSCBen

Velocity indicates power

Post by SSCBen » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:57 pm

I was sitting down, putting my shoes on when I thought of a good way to measure a water gun's power.

More powerful water guns have higher outputs compared against less powerful water guns, at the same nozzle diameter. Therefore some sort of output to area ratio would approximate power. Flow per unit area comes out to units of m/s, which is velocity.

Therefore, for the same nozzle diameter, the gun with the higher velocity is more powerful. Seems simple if you think about it, but no one has compared water guns like that yet.

I'm posting this mainly so I don't forget it. ;)
Last edited by SSCBen on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Re: Velocity indicates power

Post by Silence » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:12 pm

So you're saying to measure the velocity of each water gun using the same nozzle? Measuring range might work just as well.

Still, I'm a bit confused...I presume you'll explain once you get back.

SSCBen

Re: Velocity indicates power

Post by SSCBen » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:57 am

You can approximate velocity with an equation I posted before: http://forums.sscentral.org/31598-post17.html

Actually, when it comes down to it, this statistic might be a little useless because for the same diameter, whatever gun has more output is more powerful. So, this perhaps isn't as useful as I thought.