The role of the case

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
cantab

The role of the case

Post by cantab » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:06 pm

I'm sure most of us, like myself, have always assumed the case of stock water guns was to hold the internals and look good.

However, I discovered that some stock guns rely on their case, and the internals cannot function without it.

Specifically in the Water Warriors Argon. The connection between the pressure chamber and the nozzle valve and pump assembly is not in any way glued. It's an o-ring type seal like that of pumps.

Thus, when pumped outside of the case, this seal comes apart. It relies on the strength of the surrounding case to hold it together.

I suspect this may be a safety measure. Should the normal pressure relief valve fail, and the gun be overpumped, this seal is the most likely point to break. Having a predictable point of failure makes it easier to safeguard against said failure.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Captain Galaxy

Re: The role of the case

Post by Captain Galaxy » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:39 pm

I noticed this when I took apart my Max-D 2000. I decided to try using it without the case. as the pressure built up, the nozzle shot off. I noticed the o-ring seal and how the casing holds it together. It has a similar seal between the pump and the reservoir.
Live Long and Prosper

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:00 pm

My Max-D 2k did the same when I PRVDed it. I didn't realise at first that it was due to the lack of the case, and thought glue had failed.
Then I lost key parts and had to junk the gun.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

CROC

Post by CROC » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:08 pm

It all depends on the gun, and how the gun is assembled. If the gun has screw in points, or jubilee clips, then the gun should work perfectly out of the case. However, most guns have the O-ring seal on the reservoir-> pump area, so it is hard to do.

PRVDing a PR gun requires gluing the actual connection between each part. I prvd'd my MD5k, and it would not shoot. I opened it up, and as I took a few screws off, the gun exploded with lots of pressurized water, etc. I also trigger mod the guns that have Max-D triggers. That MD5K was lost because the case snapped so severely when I opened it and it exploded that it could no longer be used.
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:28 pm

I've seen that with the XP 270's pressure chamber. The case does holds things together while adding structure.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:52 pm

Most spherical CPS PC's also only seal to the internals and are not held to them. Basically, if you had a 2100 at full pressure and disassembled it, the PC would fly right off like a rocket. The case is obviously also important for holding the trigger, spring, valve, and lever assemblies.