Screens on nozzles?

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:46 am

Does anybody know why they have screens on all the big nozzles?

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:01 am

It's to help laminate the stream. If they weren't there, the stream would be all broken up and be like a shotgun blast and be all over the place.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

Forceuser

Post by Forceuser » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:28 am

Originally posted by nibordude@Feb 14 2005, 02:01 AM
It's to help laminate the stream. If they weren't there, the stream would be all broken up and be like a shotgun blast and be all over the place.
[snapback]22252[/snapback]

I thought that was the straws. Aren't the screens to prevent dirt and stuff from getting into the internals?
Hey, images in sigs work again! Woo!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:01 pm

I actually have no idea why they put mesh screens in the nozzles. Some say it helps with lamination. There is no evidence of screens helping with lamination. The patents on the "lamination devices" (straws) say mesh filters are optional. I think it would be reasonable to assume that they keep out dirt. Some have also speculated that they are there to reduce the output of your gun, which may be true for a few of them.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:43 am

So would it be okay to remove the sreens on my guns? ;)

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:53 am

Why don't you try testing range with and without the screens, and decide then? Oh, and tell us about your results! :P
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:54 am

It would be better if you could spell screens, but if you think there would be a positive effect after removing the screens in your guns, by all means should you remove the screens. Be warned: I don't believe removing the screens in your guns is a reversible process.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:27 pm

I think theres screens on the really big nozzles either to keep the dirt out, or, in the case of FF, they might want the stream to break up... but the what's with having it on the CPS 2000?

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:28 pm

Screens do have something to do with lamination. After the Dux and I worked on his first 21k, we made the foolish mistake of trying to drill the nozzle bigger. The drill went too far and hit the mesh screen. After that the shot was a mess and wasn't as laminated as it was before.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

Tiuk

Post by Tiuk » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:51 pm

I don't know much about water guns so bear with me.

Someone said these screens tend to be on larger nozzles. Is it possible that they are there to keep people from putting objects in the nozzles (rocks, marbels, poison darts, don't know how big these get) and shooting them at people?

Upon further thinking, however, water guns don't seem to typically have much in the way of barrels (because they'd hurt more than help), which would make them fairly poor choices for projectile shooting. Chances are the screens are to help lamination, much like those found in kitchen/bathroom faucets.

Master Yogurt

Post by Master Yogurt » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:54 am

Screens do indeed help with lamination. Years ago, I had an XP75c. After a year or two, and probably one or two too many drops, the entire nozzle came off, including the screen. This hardly functioned like a shotgun mod - in fact, the water shot out of the gun at virtually every angle, and was quite beaded and had extremely poor range. Essentially, it was a slightly heavier mist shot. Entirely worthless, I scra pped the gun (though now I could probably fix it, but when you're nine years old and something breaks, it seems pretty hopeless.)
My Armory
<span style='color :p urple'>
4 XP-210s
Secret Strike with drilled nozzle and increased range
XP 310 with shotgun nozzle and fan nozzle
Storm something-or-other pistol
Old "Power Soaker" - hey, it's made by Larami!

I miss my XP 75 classic... I don't miss my XP 85.

Need DOS help or looking for games? Dosgames.com is a great resource, and its forums are excellent, and, hey, I've been a mod there for years!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:05 pm

^ That was simply because the larger nozzle did not have enough force, not because of the screens. For example, the XP 150's riot blast shoots about 2 feet because the hole is essentially larger than the internal diameter and it does not have very linear flow.

Dark Elite

Post by Dark Elite » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:28 pm

I would say that the nozzle screens are both for lamination and to stop objects, dirt, spiders etc. getting inside the soaker. Most people will say it's to stop stuff getting in because you only get mesh on the larger nozzles, but you have to bear in mind that the larger the nozzle the more likely the stream is to break up if it rushes out too fast, so I think that the mesh is for both purposes.
Visit <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Sam's Supercars

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color :o range'><span style='font-family:Arial'><u>My Weaponry</u>
CPS2100 (Thank You King Soaker&#33 ;)
1 Liquidator/Pressurizer
1 Max-D 6000
1 XP310 w/my own power mod and 8 balloon XPS mod
2 piston-pistols (backup)

stealth

Post by stealth » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:23 pm

If screens help the flow, can we either add another screen or replace with a better screen to improve the flow?

Jon

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:31 pm

Adding another screen will probably restrict the flow. I can see using a different type of screen to increase flow, but finding the right type of screen could prove to be a tough task.

Post #300! :D