Best Water Gun for me?

General water gun discussion.
bentrinh

Best Water Gun for me?

Post by bentrinh » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:42 am

Hi, I need help deciding which water gun I should buy. I read up on the "Choosing a weapon" guide, and I seem to fit into the "Regular" catagory. I want a water gun that can be easily pumped, and I don't plan on any long range "sniping". By easily pumped I mean it can be pumped quickly and without the handle getting stuck. I plan on using it in short/medium range in a "soakfest". I already have a Storm 650 and a Storm 300.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:04 am

I would recommend a light to medium CPS. If you prefer a tracked pump (adjustments can be made to make them run a bit better), a 2100, 4100, or lighter monster should do, for free pumps, the 1000 to 1500 is good. It really however, depends on what you can and/or want to carry, XP's typically have a lesser power to size ratio than CPS's and are a bit more compact and light, though you're typically using much less less water at a time. Because you're primarily in a soakfest, try to avoid air pressure guns and go for CPS's, if you need to go light and compact, try a Flash Flood, good for short to short-medium range. While a blazer is a bit larger, has slightly less output, but considerably better effective range, capacity, and shot time. (Effective range as in the range you need to be in to drench someone effectively. The Flash Flood has a pretty low effective range unless you do some modding to it) The shot time and capacity will help quite a bit when it comes to soakfests. While it's best to go for older CPS's, those may not be available and/or too large for the smaller people. (though 1000 or 2100 sized guns are easier to handle) A strap is another consideration to look at, though you can typically make your own if you need to.

For sniping, the best blasters for those are homemades and modded guns, so really, mostly any reasonably decent stock gun should do, though some are a bit heavy and take some pumping.

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:25 pm

From what you say, it sounds like a CPS 2100 would be right up you ally.
The best place to find one would be on ebay.

Welcom to the community and enjoy your stay.

bentrinh

Post by bentrinh » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:41 pm

I did some more research after reading your post, and I'm stuck between two water guns: the CPS 1700 and the CPS 4100. The CPS 4100 has 4 nozzles, but the CPS 1700 has 1.5X as much water capticaty...

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:21 pm

That article is fairly old and frankly, it doesn't need to be so complex. Such specialized roles really don't occur in water fights, as the guns are all too similar.

Size is more of an issue. You can also check the reviews at iSoaker.com. But the older, very powerful CPS line is now unavailable except through eBay. Out of the modern blasters, the best choices probably are:
Flash Flood, made by Super Soaker/Hasbro (especially good if you drill out the nozzle for more range and output)
Blazer or Piranha, made by Water Warriors/Buzz Bee Toys

That said, this year's gun lineup has a bunch of new guns, and we have yet to test them. You can also get last year's discontinued guns cheaply this time of year from Amazon.com.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:37 pm

If you're getting the 4100, be wary of the potentially weak trigger. If you have the variant that has the weak trigger piece, be prepared to have to open up and repair it. The 1500/1700 also has a pressure chamber almost twice the size of the 4100's, giving better shot times which is helpful for a soakfest, and it also increases the total capacity even further. (just be wary with all CPS's, doing full shots often will require a lot more pumping and your water supply will eventually run out quicker) The 1500/1700 has a slightly higher max output, the only thing is that it has a free pump instead of tracked, but should not be an issue if you're halfway careful. The 1500/1700 overall is more compact yet delivers more power. Having more nozzles really isn't necesary either, you can easily conserve water by tap shooting as opposed to using a smaller nozzle. Also, to get around not having a fan/riot blast, simply avoid muiltiple targets at very close range. The 10X nozzle can do some good soakage at both long and close range.

Wow, that was a lot of almost unecessary rambling...

CROC

Post by CROC » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:40 am

Really, I would just get a Blazer, or one of the new BBT guns coming out this year
They're light, dependable, and normally lack the gimmicks, and therefore they normally get longer ranges than Super Soakers of that size.
~Croc
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:33 am

The only BBT gimmicks I know of are the electric pressure gauges (which I wouldn't consider gimmicks if they were normal pressure gauges), and sometimes they use motorized pumps for a few guns. But otherwise, they are much better than Hasbro in this area. (as in they do much fewer gimmicks) I have yet to try their guns but they sound like they're pretty good, most likely without the issues Hasbro's air pressure guns have.

Overall, to put it simply, it's recommended that your main weapon is CPS.

Johnyshotgun

Post by Johnyshotgun » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:18 pm

The best gun for a person should be heavy enough carry enough water, shoot far enough to make up for the lack of water, make sure you can run unless a heavy trooper.