need help with watergun

General water gun discussion.
bdesigns

need help with watergun

Post by bdesigns » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:13 am

Hey guys, nice to meet you all, im new here :)

Im currently studying industrial design in uni, and for an project, i am designing a water pistol. However i need it to work. The outer case of the gun will be Die casted, so that is taken care of. The main thing now is the mechanics of the gun. The triggers and other small mechanism i should be able to cast mould as well.

The problem is, ive been looking though the forums and most of the gun are all high power massive beast of a gun lol. I need a tutorial or guides on how to make a A5 size pistol which does not need to fire far (1-2 metres) will be enough. It doesnt need to have a pump, but if it is easy to make and can be a small size ill put it in.

Currently my design is kinda futuristic looking pistol which you can screw on a normal drink bottle (coke bottle) into the gun which carries more water. However my design will change due to the mechanisms of the gun.

Thanks guys for your time :) looking forward to talkin to you guys and showing you my design when finished :)

-b.

isoaker_com

Re: need help with watergun

Post by isoaker_com » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:10 pm

Check out How Water Blasters Work for diagrams on internal parts for both squirt pistol-type water guns as well as higher end pressurized soakers.

You'll need to have some sort of pump or pressurization method, otherwise there'll be no force to push out the water. Hope that helps and good luck with your designs!

And definitely please post up your designs when you can!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

bdesigns

Post by bdesigns » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:07 pm

yeah.. i think the main thing is the pressure mechinism. I have no idea how to make one. I might end up making a watergun which fires just like a spray bottle (that mechanism is easier i think) or one of those pressure weedkiller bottles which you pump. But i have no idea how that works lol..

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:46 pm

Welcome to SSC!

The only difference between what's on the website/forums and smaller water guns is scale. Of course, making a pistol is actually more difficult than making a larger gun, and most people would make larger guns, so that's why there are no guides to pistols.

If you have no idea how a water gun works, read the guide isoaker_com posted. You can also read our guide which has a bunch of links at the end: http://www.sscentral.org/physics/works.html . Another thing you could do is disassemble a water gun. That's how I learned how they work.

I would not have jumped into this project designing the case before designing the internals, but you can make something decent. Gun shapes tend to make bad water guns because of the lack of water storage and bad angles for air to float on top. It'd be easiest and likely best for you to duplicate the squirt pistol mechanism. If you want, you can make a pressurized system with a pump, but your water bottle idea might not work too well due to the low pressure rating of most water bottles. Something thicker like a soda bottle might work better, but I still wouldn't recommend that highly. If you wanted to go that way, you would make what we call a pressurized reservoir water gun.

I'll probably write more of a reply later... I need to go study and finish some work.

bdesigns

Post by bdesigns » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:38 am

hey thanks for ur replies and time guys, however i just got feedback the teacher and said my design does not have a big environmental impact and the time provided will not be enough so i may have to change my idea.

Sorry guys for taking up your time. If i still go with this design, ill be sure to post it up.

Thanks heaps again.

-b.