Reality Show Slime Gun Help

General water gun discussion.
challenge_producer

Reality Show Slime Gun Help

Post by challenge_producer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:17 pm

Hey guys, I found the forum because I am researching water guns for a reality show I am working on. I'm producing a segment where we need guns that can shoot slime (even if it's just colored water) and I want them to be big and bad ass. After doing some research it seems like this site is the authority on water guns, so I figure I'd ask the community here for any suggestions. Any idea on where I should look, or any specific models that might be awesome on TV? Preferably I'd like one with a back pack feature, and the bigger the better.

Any insight you have would be appreciated. And very cool site btw.

JuchTurtles

Re: Reality Show Slime Gun Help

Post by JuchTurtles » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:23 pm

SuperCannon II would work good for this. Check the homemades section of the site.

Also check the notable homemades section of the forum...some of these guns shoot very far and well with lots of power.

The best thing to do would be to build something, I don't suggest the water guns on the rack. Even with enormous amounts of modifying, these still won't get the power you're looking for.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:34 pm

Welcome to SSC, challenge_producer!

How much slime are we talking about? Are we shooting at people? There are many options, but the gun or guns must be built, since nothing off the shelf can do this.

A simple backpack gun, with a big pressure chamber and lots of pressure, can get a lot of flow and still be safe to shoot at people. That's what I have in mind. Right now I'm studying for a final exam (still in college), so I apologize for any slow response.

Could you please provide more details? I can see this getting quite exciting.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:11 am

You could also use something as basic as the APH.

It might not be what you want, though.

How much power do you want? It all depends.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:25 am

Welcome to SSC challenge_producer. And thanks for the compliments about the website. 'tis why we make it.

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss manufactured water guns until how big is adequate is defined. Some people who email me are very surprised by how big some water guns are an opt for something smaller. Visit http://isoaker.com/Armoury/soaker_listing.html for a listing of water guns currently available in stores.

As JuchTurtles said, it all depends. There are many factors. Explain precisely how the guns will be used including the range and approximately how much slime you intend to shoot.

Also, anything on the level of Supercannon II would not only be dangerous, but wasteful and particularly annoying to operate. I think anyone who thinks its some sort of ultimate water gun needs to reevaluate what it is---a water gun designed explicitly for power at the expense of practicality. It shoots a galloon of water in a fraction of a second. Its appetite for water and complicated filling procedure makes it most unsuitable when refill time is important. Not to mention that the amount of water is not just capable of causing but likely to cause serious bruising. As I said in the article, it's not meant for shooting at people

Some sort of similar less powerful piston style water gun might be good for some styles of water war, but again, due to the complicated filling procedure I doubt challenge_producer would be interested.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:47 pm

Also, what's the budget? Some of these cost a fair amount to build, so we have to check that, too.

Near a river in the segment? Look at the MOARC in notable homemades. This thing, using a motorized pump, shoots about 80-90 feet. Sick awesome? I'd say!

But still, aiming at people? Ouch! That's why the APH is a decent solution. It doesn't hurt at close range!

Ever considered a WBL (water balloon launcher)? This could shoot slime balloons!

Also, another option is a SuperCAP or SuperCPS, but do some things damage latex?

Anyway, good luck!
SPLASH! You're dead!

Bradisfun

Post by Bradisfun » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:46 am

i think a back pack gun and im guessing since it's a tv show the buget isant as small as some of the poeple on this site so i think that u should use a design like the uber soaker . v v

http://www.thehalls-in-bfe.com/UberSoak ... oaker.html
BTW when do u need this by?
Last edited by Bradisfun on Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:04 am

Slime will tend to be more viscous than water, and will thus flow less readily.

Thus, I would use a design with large diameter pipe or tubing. The 3/4 inch pipe used in much of the Air Pressure Homemade should be adequate.

I don't know how the check valves will handle slime though. If they don't work, the gun doesn't shoot.

In that case, a pressurised reservoir is a better design, since in that the pump moves air. The points about having a fat pipe out of the reservoir, to the valve, and on to the nozzle still stand.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Bradisfun

Post by Bradisfun » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:57 am

well challenge_producer did say that it could be green colored water and this would be ideal as it would flow mch more freely alowing the water to go futher .

BTW it would really help if we had a buget then we would be able to point u in a better direction or evan show u what to copy!
but i think that The UberSoaker would be ideal.

EDIt:has challenge_producer been on since ha made this thread,if u see this challenge_producer please let us no that we are not wasting our time!

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:42 pm

I don't think challenge _producer is on, since his post. Maybe he already built something.

We just need more details, and challenge_producer hasn't been on to post these details. So I think we need to wait for a response by him.
SPLASH! You're dead!

challenge_producer

Post by challenge_producer » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:13 am

Hey guys, sorry I was MIA for a bit. Christmas got in the way. A lot of great ideas here, thanks for being so helpful. No on is wasting there time in replying, I'm definitely reading everything here. You guys brought up some great questions and points.

Budget: Have to keep it under 1K if at all possible.
Creative: (have to keep this vague for obvious reasons) The cast will probably stand, still, about between 10-25 feet from each other. We will probably settle on 15. Each blast will probably need to last five seconds or so. I can refill after each member goes, lets say ten shots, but would like to keep that to a minimum. I've found a slime hookup, so that end of things is taken care of.

Technically I'm going to need to setups here as two people will be shooting each other at the same time. I don't think water is going to work here. It's definitely going to have to be slime, and I think that almost automatically rules out most over the counter water guns. The nozzles are just too small to handle slime, and I'm not sure if there is a way to pressurize them. I think something like this, which a bigger pressure system, may be the way to go:
The http://www.thehalls-in-bfe.com/UberSoak ... oaker.html
Last edited by challenge_producer on Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:06 am

There has been one commercial soaker shooting 'slime' - the infamous Super Soaker Oozinator.

I don't think you actually need significantly larger nozzle diameters. I'd guess you wouldn't want anything really small, but something like a 1/8 inch nozzle should be fine. (Shooting water, that would get someone pretty well soaked.)

15 feet range is entirely achievable. That's going to be within level range of any decent gun.

A 5 second shot time, however, is moderately high. Many commercial guns do less. With a large pressurized reservoir design, that should be very doable though.

The UberSoaker design could work very well. You have no problems with trying to pump slime, and suitably painted and decorated it would look like serious business. However, I'd guess it will be heavy, which may be an issue depending on the sort of people who will be using it. A garden hose nozzle may not be up to scratch too, you might have to use something different.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:38 am

I'm not sure how the viscosity of slime would affect it's behavior and what design changes would be needed to adapt to that. It would seem that the friction with the nozzle would lower it's velocity and get less range, but if the liquid is less likely to break up from air resistance, it should go farther. For reference, the best portable water guns hit about 50ft while the largest that has ever been built hits over 70'. However, these ranges are taken at an arc. With lower angle and near-level shots, they should still hit at least 30-40ft. (though that's more of a guess) It is also considerable that pressure/range may need to be traded for shot time, depending on how much slime is available.

Depending on what kind of power is needed, it should be easy to keep the whole thing well under $1k and probably under $300, unless you want regulators and high pressure air of some sort for faster reloading.

Good luck on the project. I can't offer much real good advice (it has been a few months) but I hope you can get a good idea from here.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:29 pm

If you only need fifteen feet, use a stock gun. Maybe modify it to make it have more shot time.

I don't know about the slime. Colored water wouldn't damage guns and work better, but you must not want that.

Sorry for my lack of posting on this. I don't really know what to do.

Good luck!
SPLASH! You're dead!

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:50 pm

The oozinator does shoot slime, but Banzai has made some color water blasters, not sure if they work, but they do shoot colored water.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.