Water rockets and water guns have a lot in common

General water gun discussion.
air.command

Water rockets and water guns have a lot in common

Post by air.command » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:36 am

Hello All,

I'm a new member to this forum. It seems like there is quite a cross-over between the sort of problems facing water rocketeers as there are water gun operators and modders.

I'm hoping I'll be able to learn a little more about the problems and solutions discussed here and apply them to the water rocket field. Equally I'll share my insights gained in the water rocket field and how they can be applied here.

Cheers

- George
Air Command Water Rockets

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:08 pm

Welcome to the forums! You have a sweet website there, definitely has a lot of information.

All hobby guns that use air pressure tend to be somewhat related. I think I'd have to catch up on water rocketry more than you'd have to catch up on water guns in order to make some connections though. :rolleyes:

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:33 pm

I had been wondering about something like this a while ago, but had ruled it out as too expenceive, impractical and more dangerous than the pneumatic launchers.
Captain-Canis: Founder of the Maple-Mountain-Marines.
Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:13 am

Welcome to Super Soaker Central! Feel free to roam around.

WaterWolf, water rockets aren't that expensive unless you're really hardcore into them. You can make a working one with a two-liter bottle, a launcher, and a simple to make nozzle. I've shot these off before and it's pretty good fun. While it's not the same fun as the water guns, it's still similar in the physics involved.

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:36 am

I say that they are impractical because of the high inaccuracy, especially if you were to strap a balloon to its nose.
I also said that it would be more dangerous because when you get hit by a pneumatic WBL, you're only getting hit with a fast moving balloon, which will burst on impact. But with a water rocket you would be hit by a solid plastic object moving at high speeds.
-B.D.

air.command

Post by air.command » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:09 pm

WaterWolf,

Certainly the sorts of water rockets we are talking about would never be used to launch at targets moving or not. They are way too dangerous for that. What I was referring to is that the technology and physics of water guns and water rockets is very similar. Basically trying to achieve a laminar stream of water out of the nozzle with minimum losses.

For water rockets aerodynamics are also a major part of the design, perhaps not so much for water guns.

As mentioned earlier, water rockets are quite inexpensive to get into, You could build and launch one for under $10 with things you have at home. There are hard core enthusiasts out there that spend thousands.

- George

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:32 pm

Ah, yes, that would be true.
I thought you might be proposing a new weapon system base around the rockets.
-B.D.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue May 01, 2007 7:33 pm

Nice site - some of that stuff is really impressive.

I can easily see that people could spend huge amounts on water rockets.
I've seen some of the really high-end gauss rifles/railguns and spudguns that people have built, so I can believe that people in other hobbies could spend similar amounts.

Cheap water rockets are a good laugh - although EVERY time I try, I get totally soaked, which isn't quite as fun... but, it is somewhat inevitable I guess - at least the way I do it.

Anyway, on to business then.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston