WOW...

General water gun discussion.
Specter

WOW...

Post by Specter » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:45 am

I was at a friend's house today(8/2) for a graduation party. When I walked into his back yard i saw a couple large super soakers sitting next to his pool. Later in the day I was about to get in the pool and picked up the larger of the two. I was looking for the label and then asked him which one it was, "CPS 4100, something?" and as he was telling me it was a Monster X I saw the label. I was like "cool, which one is that?" *flipping it with my foot to see label. not able to tell at first because of peeling/fading* He said it was a regular Monster. Then he said a couple times "I wanted it so bad but I wasn't able to get a Monster XL. I wanted it so bad." and i was like "Yeah it's cool, it has 11 nozzles." blah blah blah.
maybe 10 minutes later, I pick up the Monster X and start filling it. (man it takes long to fill that thing) I start pumping it, and it takes quite a few pumps to fill it. The first time I probably only had it half full. WOW that thing is fun. I wish I wasn't so young when the big guns were released. When I had it pumped to full, i got about 3 tap shots. I don't know what nozzle it was on but the soaker is really cool. I tried it on each of the nozzles. One of the other kids picked up the Monster and we were shooting each other for a while until the tanks ran out, then we just swam around.
Anyways, I reallly need to get a job now so I can get some old CPSes off ebay during the winter. Now that i see what I've been missing.

This is the same friend that has the Super Soaker MDS at his shore house.
Oh he also has a XP65 with a trigger problem? It shoots when you pump it. I told him he can probably take it apart and fix it in about 5-10 minutes once the problem is diagnosed. I just need to tell him about SSC and he can probably fix it, or let me fix it for him. He will be going to Widener University in the fall for i think mechanical engineering. I'll be going down to Widener on wednesday for an open house since now its my turn to be looking at colleges more closely now. I'm looking to go to college for some sort of engineering, not sure which type yet. (all thanks to me being on the robotics team at my school. http://www.usfirst.org if anyone is interested in seeing what kind of stuff the robotics team does.)
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

cantab

Re: WOW...

Post by cantab » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:36 am

It's been a little while myself since I've used any of the old CPS line. Never seen a Monster (any version). I'm also not sure if I've ever used a CPS 2000. I've used a 2500 (and 1000 and 1500 for that matter), but I think I may never have used the grand daddy of them all :-(

I also wish I'd got one of the CPS when they were about. My mum wouldn't get me one because she knew full well she'd be the main target! And it would have been too much saving for me.

I even remember picking one up in the shop, pumping it with air, and then shooting her right in the ear :-D Of course she wasn't pleased about that, afterwards I _definitely_ wasn't getting one.
Wish I could remember what model that was. It was almost certainly a CPS, and obviously the box was such that it could be pumped and shot without cardboard getting in the way (the pump stroke was restricted though).
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:45 pm

I never knew anybody who had a CPS water gun. I have vague memories of what may have been a CPS 1000 in one of the street's large water wars. Everybody on my team said it was too powerful and the opponents whined about how it was too "heavy." Not that they'd trade, even for a single water war. :cool:

Then I saw iSoaker.com one summer and saw the CPS 4100 re-release later. At the time I thought a larger number meant a bigger and better soaker. I was wrong, of course, although I had seen the Monster X and XL in a booklet ad thing that came with my XP 270 ~8 years ago.

Specter

Post by Specter » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:53 pm

I forgot to mention that the Monster X on a full tank is quite heavy. I think it was about 7 or 8 pounds? That's half the weight of my dog, lol. (and the gun itself is twice his size)

Man I wonder how much fun I could have had a few years ago when the CPS'es were released. But they were probably too expensive at the time. I only always got the smaller soakers. I remember my favorite being the XP-70 (when i had it)
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:15 pm

The Monster X empty is fairly heavy. It's almost half a kilo more than the CPS 2500.

The Monster XL is the soaker really noted for excessive dry weight though. It weighs more empty than a CPS 1000 does completely (ie reservoir and PC) full.

And yet despite their weight, sadly the Monster line lack 20x nozzles. The XL gives 2 11.5x nozzles, which is good soakage, but still a missed opportunity. Two 20x nozzles would have meant it outsoaked, if not outranged, the CPS 2000.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Yep, and one 20x nozzle *might* have let it outrange the CPS 2000. Or at least come closer in range, with more shot time to boot. Two nozzles is nearly always a missed opportunity in terms of shot time and/or range.

Neat stats about the Monsters. Even the latest Monster was a CPS 4100 with more appealing styling and a quick fill port.

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:20 am

Do people use the ability to have two different nozzles on the MXL much? Say, the four-way and the 6-way shots for maximum area coverage.

It wouldn't have outranged the 2000 without a well designed laminating nozzle, which I think is not easy to have with a nozzle selector. You can stick a 2000's PC in a 2500 and you won't get the range the 2000 does.

Maybe you could try putting a laminator on the MXL. I'd wonder about replacing one the of the nozzles on the outside of the selector with it.
Arsenal:

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:03 pm

You're probably right - laminators are hard (but not impossible) to do well in conjunction with nozzle selectors. As for the option of using only one nozzle, I'm not sure exactly how that works. Somebody once posted that he had lost his cap, so I'm guessing you have to insert a cap somewhere, which may be a pain.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:00 pm

Silence wrote:As for the option of using only one nozzle, I'm not sure exactly how that works.
The MXL has an "off" nozzle selection on its right-side nozzle selector (at least on the right size of the ones I've used). I don't believe a 20x nozzle on the MXL would have given it an range boost; the PC just seemed to lack the *oomph* of earlier CPS-models. Set at a single 11.5x setting, the stream feels somewhat subdued both in terms of range as well as reduced kickback since the darn thing is so heavy in the first place! :p

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:08 pm

Maybe. Though one could colossus it :-)
Also, is the MXL's firing chamber actually a double one?
Arsenal:

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:09 pm

Just to clairfy; the gun you used at the party was probably a "Monster", not to be confused with a "Monster X". You remarked that the styling reminded you of a CPS 4100, and the Monster was released after the CPS 4100, in order to appeal to a market that may have been turned off by the Monster X's larger size and weight. The Monster (sans X) is simply a recolored CPS 4100 with an added QFD functionality.

Soak On
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:15 pm

Wrong way round I think. The CPS 4100 is the NEWER gun - a repainted and renamed small Monster WITHOUT quick filling (though you can actually use the 8.5x nozzle for the purpose I believe). Yes, they made an existing design WORSE - that's hardly been an uncommon action of Hasbro with Super Soakers.

In any case, reread his post. The small Monster and the Monster X were both there I think.
Arsenal:

Specter

Post by Specter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:05 pm

In any case, reread his post. The small Monster and the Monster X were both there I think.
Correct. He has both the Monster and Monster X. I was holding the Monster X. They both looked the same except the Monster was a bit smaller and had different colors.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:12 pm

Yep, the Monster preceded the CPS 4100. And I worded it badly in my post, too.

cantab, there's only one pressure chamber in the Monster XL, as far as I know. And iSoaker, thanks for the note...you'd have more authority on this than anybody else since you've reviewed them all. :p