Hello!

General water gun discussion.
guerrilla91

Hello!

Post by guerrilla91 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:01 pm

Hello everyone! Im not new at soaking. Not at all. Ive been shooting people with water guns since i was very young. Just in the past year however have my fights become more organized and complex.

I own a variety of good soakers, including a CPS 2000, a CPS 1000, and a CPS 2100. I usually play the role of grenadier or whatever needs to be filled. I also own a water balloon mortar, which very soon i will use to rain water balloons on the enemy. It uses a modified solenoid valve.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good refill station if im nowhere near a hose?

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:33 am

Hello, and welcome to SSCentral. It looks like you're into the fighting aspect as well as the tech side of Soakerdom, so you might enjoy the Water Fights subforum and use of the Soaker Media forums.

Are you referring to a QFD-supportive water source, or just a standard one? If the latter, then Duxburian, being an incredibly hardcore water warrior, would tell you to just use whatever source is available--including ponds and streams. You could also do a backpack mod (detailed on the main SSC site under Tech>Modifications) or just dump a ton of bags and bottles of water inside a frame backpack. If you're looking at a more stationary solution, then you could carry coolers, water barrels (the orange ones), or 2 Liter soda bottles and leave them on the battlefield.

For QFD-supportive sources, the best bets would be a hose system (several multi-way fittings and many lengths of hose would do the trick) or one of the more radical portable QFDs that have been proposed. You could do a Power Pak-style backpack that uses cylindrical tubing (LRT) or something else to provide water and pressure/force.

guerrilla91

Post by guerrilla91 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:43 am

I generally do carry a good amount of water with me, and i do not need it to be QFD compatible, but i would need something that supplies enough pressure to fill up water balloons (as i use quite a few of them). I beleive that your suggestions for QFD fill up would work for this as well, as a rubber bladder is basically the same thing as a balloon. I could also make an attachment that would fit on a normal water bottle, which would allow me to squeeze the bottle to fill the balloon.

EDIT: I have found just the thing for pumping up balloons away from a hose. It is a small pump that is submerged in any water source (pond, stream etc.) and then squeezed. I will just carry it with me as it works anywhere.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:47 pm

In fact, I would never take a Power Pak-type water source around in a backpack. Why? Because with a hose, you can afford to spill water while filling or just waste it any other way, but if you have to carry a limited but heavy supply around, you want every drop you have. When you fill a soaker from the hose or from this, you'll probably spill a few drops (unless you don't fill all the way), which is terrible on the go. If you are only filling, then a simple trash bag will suffice; and you can always squeeze the bag if need be.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:40 pm

Make sure the water is clean when using a pump - the last thing you want is a clogged pump.

In a desperate situ, use a soaker as a pressurised source.

Mobile water suppies are fairly well debated here. There are two schools of thought:
Have a tank which you pump water out of.
Have a tank which you pressurize for instant power.

Method 1 is less useful, method 2 can leak pressure.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:21 pm

If well executed, I doubt method 2 will leak excessively--at least, not over the course of a battle. However, I might definitely be wrong...

The major problem with method 2 is complexity; it's debated exactly how to create a portable pressurized water source. Also, how would you create the pressure? Then again, the latter question does stem off of the extra complexity of the entire method...

Big Boss

Post by Big Boss » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:23 pm

To you new memeber, a hearty "Harro Dere!"

And as to mobile water supplies, I've also been looking into another use for that bike tube (heheh, they were put down as 'useless' so naturally I had to find as many uses a as possible.)

If you make it as the instructions say , then simply tie or duct tape the ends so it's circular, you can drape it over your shouldier and refill your guns from it- a bandolier! You can't really run a gun off it, so it's of little use there, but it's lighter than a backpack and easier to carry, too.

Of course, those who are against extra water supplies are generally against them not because they are cumbersome, but because they don't need them, so I doubt this discovery will do much to sway them. However, they're good for those who have water-guzzling guns, they're light enough to use as a safety net, and if you've got a team stuck between a rock and a dry place ( :) ), it's a lot easier to sling a few of these over your shoulder and rush 'em over there than to bring a backpack or garbage bag.

guerrilla91

Post by guerrilla91 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:13 am

I will definitely try one of the many suggestions ive recieved. I use a CPS 2000, which is the biggest water guzzler of them all. As for water balloons, I will just find any old water supply and use the pump.