Max-D 3000 Holster

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
atvan

Max-D 3000 Holster

Post by atvan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:29 pm

I started work today on a holster for my MD3k. It will be roughly the shape of the gun, and have a mechanism that holds the gun in place. unlike a snap or velcro, it will act similarly to a paddle holster, but with a less complicated mechanism that uses an elastic strap and a button to quickly release the strap.

I have a design worked out, and am currently getting a hold of the materials that i need. I must say that I was inspired by a nite finder holster on nerfhaven. I am using semi-flexible plastic from two old binders(the floppy kind) for the base material, and elastic straps from the binders for other parts. Like the nerfhaven design, I will be using brass fasteners to help hold the design together, but these need to be obtained, as I currently have none.

The idea is- when you go to draw your gun, your index finger slides on the outside of the holster, pushing a button releasing the strap, allowing you to draw the gun.

This post was primarily to post the general idea. I will later post pics of the completed holster, and how well the release works, along with a drawing of the mechanism, and then results of running tests, jumping tests, and battle practicality tests.

Edit: I also will maybe add a place to put a water bottle for refills. Mag pouch, anyone? :p
Last edited by atvan on Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

strato_2r5

Re: Max-D 3000 Holster

Post by strato_2r5 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:44 pm

If you are making a holster and a mag pouch, you might as well make a utility belt to go with it. It should have everything practical in a water war, such as water(bottled and tap), rations(for long battles), a radio, a flashlight(for nightime), duct tape, and rope. Also if in a big area you should make a place for a knife and a flint in case you get lost.
Sorry if I'm not active much, busy on another forum and another project non-soaker related.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:46 pm

I've always stuck to the belt clip listed here, or I just put the sidearm directly in my pocket. I also use pockets for water bottles. For water balloon canisters, I use a Pringles can or large plastic drink cup and the belt clip, but those don't work all that well.

At one point, I've used a pouch designed for paintball pods as .5l bottle pouches. Very convenient stuff. If you can get a holster to work, all the better. Post pics if you can.

Water balloons are the trickiest to work out as they're the most delicate items to be carried. Someday I may look into a better solution but for now I'll stick to what I have.

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:18 pm

I was thinking- before the battle or when reloading at a hose, take off the holster, flip it over, and screw the water bottle into a ball valve attached to the holster. Put the holster on, and put the MD3k into the holster. When in the battle, when your primary runs out, let it loose on its strap, and you can quickly draw your MD3k and continue soaking. When the 3000 runs out of water, simply put the gun under the ball valve, open the valve and have your gun be refilled. Close the valve and head towards the refil station. You can also still refill a bit when you run out, I believe.

@strato- all my battles are short, one on one, we can usually hear each other, and we always fight during the day. This makes most of your features useless, and we play right by our house, so if we needed something, we could just go in and get it. Also, all those things may not seem to really weigh much, but when you've been running around, they can slow you down, and bounce around anoyingly, which is the same reason I want a holster over a belt clip.
Last edited by atvan on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:49 pm

Yeah, all most people need for wars is war supplies and drinking water. You don't really need repair equipment, food, and other such items except for more demanding wars.

Not really getting the whole point of the ball valve. When I run out of water, I either start filling my primary w/ bottles, or use my sidearm if I'm in a bad situation. Of course, I'll run to a refill station if its practical to do so, but it's not a huge deal as long as I have some water left.

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:12 pm

The valve is just to facilitate reloading with the water bottle. You could fill your primary with it too, but the water would not last you as long if your primary had higher output.

The water bottle would be screwed into the ball valve upside down, and when you opened the valve, you'd have a mini hose with .5 liters waiting for you in a handy place , and you don't need three hands to hold the bottle the gun, and the the bottle's cap. This would just make field reloading faster.

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:16 pm

Oh, I see what you mean. So it's just quicker than having to unscrew a cap and screw it back on again. You could also carry around more of those or use a 2L bottle for your primary.

Off topic: This is almost like IMing; really quick responses.
Sorry if I'm not active much, busy on another forum and another project non-soaker related.

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:34 pm

I was not able to get the brass fasteners today. :(

@ strato- not quite. My iPad dings if I get an email, and checks for emails every 30 minutes, so that is the longest my response time to posts is, as I am usually in my room, where my iPad is. Oh summer break, I love you dearly. Off to practice soaking, so may not reply in a 30 minute timeframe. :p

Edit: I spent about 45 minutes outside with the MD3k. I ran through a tank, gave it its monthly repair, and ran through another tank. The monthly repair constitutes of opening it up, squishing part of the spring, then closing it again. This is because since my repair/silent mod to the gun, the spring, which had been rusted and broken is not as good as it used to be and now overstretches, and I have to squish it back so that it closes the valve all the way. I wanted the gun to be in tip-top shape for the holster so that I can run a full line of tests not just of the holster, but of me. I can do quick draw target shooting and other things like that.

Another edit- Eight posts in a day is better than even many bigger forums, yay! Also, this has only been 3 people.
Last edited by atvan on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:49 pm

I hope you don't find my nostalgia too overbearing, but I remember back in 2003 when WWn would average 30 or 40+ posts a day. Now those were lively times! (of course, back then, most of that activity was EES hate :P ).

A holster sounds like a good idea, can't wait to see what the finished project looks like.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:13 pm

To post al least something on topic- the plastic I'm using is semi-transparent from staples binders with elastic straps to keep the binders closed.

@Wetmonkey- I know, but this is just one thread. At more active forums, quality conversations and ideas are quickly covered up by n00bs posting random stuff and getting yelled at by a mod. Because of the lack of activity at this forum, good ideas are more easily found, and n00b posts are much fewer.

And this makes ten at least partially on topic posts in one day! :D

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:22 pm

I still don't understand what you mean for the holster realease. A diagram would be very appreciated. But basically there's an elastic strap like a garter that is stretched across the top of the holster?

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:46 pm

Picture a gun loosely in a holster, free to fall out if upside down, etc. Now, picture that an elastic strap is stretched over the thumb position on the gun, in the recess, and attached to a sort of latch thing on the other side of the holster than the strap started. There is now a strap holding the gun into the holster. When a button is pressed, the latch releases, and the stretched elastic strap is then freed, and loose, allowing you to draw the gun. I hope to finish this project in a few days, so you can see the end result, and that should clear up any remaining confusion.

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:12 am

I think velcro would fill the fastener's role. Instead of pressing a button you can just pull the gun out with a little more force and the velcro would unfasten. Why don't you like it?

atvan

Post by atvan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:37 am

That might work, but would be harder to use, might wear down the Velcro or pull the holster off instead, and would not be nearly as fun to make. Also, I don't have Velcro. In my initial post, I just stated this as an alternative to Velcro, but this would also be marginally easier and faster to draw. Finally, it is way more fun to push a button to release the gun as opposed to having to yank it out of its holster.

atvan

Post by atvan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:50 pm

I got the brass fasteners. I'll try to get the design done by Monday. Then Tuesday and Wednesday, I will run tests and take pictures.