Trigger broken, I cant open my CPS 2700

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
ark333

Trigger broken, I cant open my CPS 2700

Post by ark333 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:54 am

Hi, i´m new to this forum, so, hi to all of you. I find soakers world very exciting, and I´m looking forward to learn a lot about mods, repairs and the like. :)

Question is, I have a CPS 2700, about 3 yrs old, not much use, only 4 or 5 days maybe... yesterday, my trigger broke, it has a crack between the curve and the sliding thing, and I can´t shoot. :mad: I have read the "Doom" tutorial to repair that kind of trigger problem, but I can´t open the gun, because it has 2 screws really round, and impossible to take them out with a screwdriver, so, gun won´t open. :confused: Should I open it using brute force ? or is there another way to do it without risking it ? thank you very much.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:36 pm

Welcome to SSC, ark333! We're fairly picky about grammar, so in the future, it would be nice if you cleaned up your posting a bit. Thanks.

The rule of thumb pretty much goes, "Use brute force iff you know you're not forgetting something." Make sure the screwdriver's head perfectly fits the screw, especially for nozzle selectors, and make sure you don't damage anything. Otherwise, you really only need to worry when screwing things in, as overtorqueing then can be disasterous.

I don't have a CPS 2700, but Ben (also known as Doom; he changed his name) and joannaardway do have them and thave opened and modded them extensively. Ben is away camping, but perhaps joannaardway can respond to this topic...

ark333

Post by ark333 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:11 pm

sorry, silentguy, thanks for the advice

I´ve taken a few pics, this one is a general view of the gun:
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/236/2700awj4.jpg

as you can see, it has the ugly colors. I put a wine bottle cap, since I lost the original cap, but when I pumped, the water chamber shrinks, so, I think i will have to make a hole in the cap

This is a view of the trigger zone (trigger is pulled back, in order to get a better view of the crack):
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/6149/2700bly3.jpg

Two close-ups on the trigger itself, the crack can be easily be seen in all the pics:
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/324/2700cst1.jpg
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4750/2700dyb6.jpg

Hope it helps a little, all pics were taken with the gun mounted, since I can´t dismount it because of the screws

Thanks again.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:22 pm

Thanks for the update! Judging from those pictures, you'll definitely need to open up the soaker. As I said, though, if you want a second opinion about opening it, you could always just wait for somebody else who has a CPS 2700 to reply to this thread. Then again, yours might be a different mark...

As always, good luck with the repair!

ark333

Post by ark333 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:49 pm

yes, I know it´s absolutely neccesary to open it, and I dont know how will I do it.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:59 pm

because it has 2 screws really round
You mean the top of the screw has been damaged a lot that a screwdriver no longer bites or something else? If the screws are impossible to remove with a normal screwdriver, if you have a reversible drill, you can try drilling out the screws. I wouldn't recommend brute force, particularly if the remaining screws are on thicker portions of the plastic casing. If screws are still in place, you may end up doing a lot of casing damage and this may affect some of the parts the internals are mounted/guided with.

Think you could take some pictures of the screws in question?

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:42 pm

Oh, I see...perhaps you can borrow from your neighbor :p one of those tools that supposedly can handle any screw head, no matter how bad it is. Of course, I don't completely trust that advertising, so I don't suggest buying one--seems like a waste of money. But if somebody you know has one, there's nothing wrong with trying.

I suppose drilling out those screws would work, but I wouldn't say there's less chance of damage. At any rate, the soaker will be perfectly fine without those two screws (although there are a few exceptions).

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:23 pm

Stripped screw heads are a nightmare.

The trigger problem is very common - I had it, and Ben had it at some point.

I fixed it with a "splint" along the upper edge, and put loads of metal pins through the splint, and glued them in place.

I also added a L shaped pin in the "elbow" of the split ("split" not "splint") if you can see what I mean...

I'll try and get some pictures soon.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

JLspacemarine

Post by JLspacemarine » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:40 pm

You can read this article for some useful information:http://www.sscentral.org/tech/articles/oywg.php

Drilling these two screws out won't damage your gun that much if you do a good job. I had to do this 7 times on my 1200, and it works great now. Even if there is only 6 screws left and some duct tape to hold it in one piece. :rolleyes:
Armory: AS Hydroblitz (x2), MI FlashFlood, STE TripleShot, XP Backfire, XP 215, XP 105, XXP 175, Big Bottle BLaster(x2), SC Power Pak, SpeedLoader1000, SpeedLoader 1500, SpeedLoader Double-Cross 3000, CPS Splashzooka (x2), CPS 1200, CPS 1500,CPS 2100, CPS 2000 Mk2, CPS 1-3-5

ark333

Post by ark333 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:53 pm

isoaker_com wrote:You mean the top of the screw has been damaged a lot that a screwdriver no longer bites or something else?
that´s exactly what I mean, normal screwdriver wont take the screws out

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:08 pm

@ JLspacemarine: That's a great link, and from what Ben wrote, it sounds like the CPS 2700 might either have bad screws, poor machining, or just an interesting coincidence. I guess it's the only option, then...

ark333

Post by ark333 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:59 am

joannaardway wrote: I'll try and get some pictures soon.
Would be very nice if you post those pictures here :)

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:49 am

I'll definately post the pictures here, but the digital camera has gone missing. When I find it, I'll get those photos up, possibly with some diagrams showing how the pins cut through the trigger.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

xylenol15

Post by xylenol15 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:26 am

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever bought replacement screws? I personally find that, occasionally Super Soaker screws deform like cottage cheese after a single removal and reinsertion. I'm going to the Home Depot to see if I can find the right size in stainless, these chromate infused (Ever wonder why your screws are sometimes rainbow colored?) screws are only so good at resisting rust. The newer screws like the ones in my oozinator are bluish, which means they're electroplated with but a thin, puny layer of zinc, probably because chromates are being phased out for corrosion protection, as they're horribly toxic and carcinogenic. I expect the zinc plated screws to rust into unusable blobs much faster than the chromate ones, though.
Last edited by xylenol15 on Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.